Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Musings, meanderings,...

Went riding with Matt yesterday morning and realized my aerobar was broken in two on my new bike. It must have happened at last week's triathlon (sorry JT, no video for that race). Didn't realize it until we'd make it out to Shaker Road, so I had to hold it in place for the return trip to Progressive. Needless to say, I was dismayed. My new bike was broken! Arrrggh! Matt pointed out that the more expensive the bike, the more likely the problem. Seems he is correct. Note that it is fixed now.

So, I had to ride my old tri bike this morning for my 50-mile ride with Hallie. Getting onto her was like the awkard beginning conversation of two friends who haven't seen each other in awhile.

Me: "Hi, long time no see."

Her: "Humph, could have told you that the red flashy woman would love you and leave you! And, now you come running back to me. I see how it is!"

Me: "Well, technically, she won't be going away permanently."

Her: "What??!!! grumble, grumble"

Me: "Yah, she just needs to be fixed. But, you know I still love you."

Her: "Couldn't tell it by me. You haven't ridden me in a month!"

Me: "I know. I know. I plan to bring you inside to be my all-time inside bike. In the winter, you can laugh at her while she freezes in the garage. On rainy days, you'll stay dry and clean."

Her: "Well, I guess that sounds okay. As long as you still need me."

: ) Seriously though, it felt weird to be back on my old tri bike at first. The seat was lower and the wheels were smaller, but quickly we found our groove again. Hallie and I rode out to just before the monster hill in Bedford and then back to Strawberry picnic area. It took me just over 3 hours to go the 50 miles. It was her longest distance by far. And, I swear she got stronger instead of slower in the last hour.

After the ride, we grabbed some breakfast at Yours Truly and then headed to Bike Authority to man (woman?) the CTC tent for a few hours with Tracie. Hallie wanted to look at bikes - she can't borrow my road bike forever. : )

Looks like she may purchase a carbon tri bike. I have to admit that there was part of me that thought she hadn't earned the right to get such a fancy ride after only doing two sprint triathlons. However, as I analyzed my reaction, I realized that Matt is right about triathletes' reactions to stuff like this.

When a newbie wants to get into the sport and rides his/her mountain bike, we are all about the encouragement. If same newbie buys a top of the line triathlon bike, we call them a poser and go on about "it is the engine and not the bike". The bottom line though is if you have the money, you can purchase whatever the heck you want. It is America after all.

So, Hallie, if you are reading this, I'm sorry if I came off as anything other than supportive today. You can spend your money however you want. And, you actually do have the engine to go with that Ferrari of a bike.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Collister said...

Me: I thought that was pretty funny.
Jen's bike: Me too.

8:55 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

As long as you are gonna ride it, feel free to buy whatever you can afford. It is the last part that I struggle with!

4:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home