Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Stupid Weather

My coach assigned a 2-hour leisurely paced ride today. She said to get out and enjoy the weather. That would be great, but the weather isn't enjoyable today. Jodi and I were going to meet for the ride, but she canceled yesterday due to the weather forecast. We just don't have the right gear. It is not only cold, but also raining (my favorite - NOT). So, the choices are 1) get on the trainer or 2) move the ride to tomorrow which has a slightly better forecast. Given that it is already 9:30, I'll probably just move the ride to tomorrow regardless. I'm importing songs into my new Ipod now to prepare for the long winter of trainer rides ahead. As an aside, the Ipod is really awesome! I've used it for 2 trainer rides already. It kept me entertained and Matt didn't have to be subjected to my musical selections. Now, I just have to find comfortable headphones. Those ear buds hurt after awhile!

The foul weather didn't stop the huge crowd from attending the Race for the Cure downtown. I watched it on a special newscast. Amazing! Over 20,000 people came out to walk or run it. It was so congested at the start that the first runners were finished before some of the walkers even crossed the start line. I don't think people do that race for the race though. It is an emotional experience that I wish I could have done (stupid IT band) with my coach and our friend Tina. Tina is a breast cancer survivor. She's one of the nicest people I've ever met. She's a triathlete with a similar skill level to mine, so we spent most of the 2005 triathlon camp riding or running together. She never mentioned that she was fighting cancer let alone was about to undergo surgery or chemo for her cancer. She is a tough cookie and I'm happy to report that she was running today, whereas last year, she had to walk. Go Tina!

So, back to perspective. Yes, I can't comfortably go for a ride today. So what! I'm just grateful to be healthy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

Cold is OK...cold and wet is not. As reinforced by IM MOO this year! :) ha ha

I like podcasts on my trainer to mix it up a bit--good ones to try: Get Your Geek On, In Transit Duo, Zen and the Art of Triathlon, and Simply Stu! All great tri-podcasts--makes the time fly!

12:01 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Just got off the trainer. 2 hours is a long time! But watching a movie makes the time go by faster. As tough as it was to be inside, I was grateful to not be out in that weather. Looked brutal out there!

Jodi

12:14 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd said...

Cold biking weather, yes. Cold running weather, no!

Race for the Cure was fun to watch. I tried registering, but it was a madhouse down there. I was jealous watching from the sidelines--rather been running. Inspirational event.

Hope the ITB heals soon.

4:07 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry the weather busted up your plans. I spent the last two days fighting off a cold. So today's ride isn't dirt and won't be as long as I'd have liked. But at least it won't be quite as cold as it will be up in your neck of the woods. Just arm warmers here (need to get some knee/leg warmers).

Performance Bike and Nashbar are having bike clothing sales right now. And my favorite base and warm layer clothing shop is Campmor (www.campmor.com). Good stuff, fantastic prices.

Thanks for the link out. I'll add one to you sometime today!

6:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home