Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Biking OUTSIDE!

March in Cleveland is a total crap shoot weather-wise. One day, we'll have 5 inches of snow and the next it will be 71 degrees and sunny. Of course, you have to take advantage of the great days.

Last night, I finally got to ride my bike OUTSIDE - first time since late November. I overdressed, because I wasn't sure how I'd feel on the bike, but I wasn't too warm to be uncomfortable. The schedule called for a 90-minute easy to moderate ride. Lots of people came out to the park, so I took my time meandering through the walkers, joggers, etc. heading out of the park onto the road.

There was a guy about 1/4 mile in front of me and I didn't really pay much attention to him. Normally, I'd want to catch him and pass him if I could, but that wasn't on the agenda. However, I did catch up to him quickly on the first real incline. I verbally warned him that I was behind him, so he wouldn't be startled. I suppose I should have passed him then, but I didn't feel like rushing through my bike. I think I made him nervous though or maybe he didn't want to be passed by a chick, because he sped up dramatically after that.

About 25 minutes into my ride, I saw Matt coming the other way. He did a u-turn and caught up with me. On the next big hill, we had to finally pass the dude because he was going so slowly. I'm ashamed to admit that I kind of enjoyed the look of disbelief on his face when this chick quickly and easily passed him going up the hill. I guess all of the bike training on the trainer is really paying off, because the hills weren't tough at all.

A few minutes later, Matt's chain went ka-chunk and it bent his derailleur. He managed to get it working again, but we didn't feel comfortable continuing on, so we went back. My planned ride was cut short by 18 minutes, but that is totally cool. I'm just so psyched to have ridden outside again!

The weather is turning cold again tomorrow, but luckily, we are headed to Florida tomorrow morning to visit Matt's parents. I'm going to rent one of those tourist bikes and cruise around like a tourist. Good times! I do have a little training on the schedule, but the rest of the week is mostly for rest. Hope you all have a great weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Have fun in Florida!

Glad you had a good bike ride!

4:54 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

Yay for riding outside!!! You bet all those trainer rides pay off. Passing guys on the uphill is why we do it!

Have fun in Florida.

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Have a great time in Florida ... with nice, warm weather as we cool off again up here!! I am so excited to be able to get outside for exercise again!!

Buen viaje!!

10:52 PM

 
Blogger qcmier said...

Nice job at the Shamrock race. That's a tough one. I can't wait to ride outside.

11:14 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Have fun in Florida. Just think of the head start you'll get on your bike shorts tan lines!

6:09 AM

 
Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

It never bothers me when a "chick" passes......it's a much better view :-)

10:03 AM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Chicks that pass dudes rule!!!

Oh now I have been teased by nice weather and am now impatiently awaiting the return of it!

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Felt good to ride outside.
Have fun in FLA.
BTW the rain was light. no problems...Thanks for the concern. I am so nervous in the rain since my wreck last year. I am sure Matts crash last summer keeps you worried about rain...No need for Lance Moments in downpours.

8:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home