Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My first blog tag

Deirdre tagged me, so here goes:

1. Describe a memory of your first triathlon.
I didn't really know how to swim, so I used the side stroke the whole time while wearing aqua shoes. My mom said I got really off course and it took me 50 minutes to complete the 750 meter swim. When I got out of the water, I was so thankful I didn't drown that the rest of the triathlon felt easy (albeit lonely - I finished 16th from the bottom).

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon.
The fog was so thick that the start time kept getting delayed. In the past, this would have really bothered me, but this time, I was cool as a cucumber. Actually, I was a little cold, but not nervous. In the middle of the bike segment, I was thinking "Why did I do the Olympic distance and what do I need to prove?", but I hammered the second part of the bike, had a great run and PR'd in a huge way! I'm really glad I did it, even though I'm fairly sure my IT problems started that day.

3. What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you during a triathlon?
During that first triathlon in the aqua shoes doing the side stroke, I could hear my mother yelling from the pier "Go Jennifer! Go Jennifer! C'mon Jennifer!" and all I could think was "stop yelling, because people are going to know what the slowest person in the lake's name is". Of course, by then, there were few spectators left to even hear it.

4. What is the most thrilling thing that has happened to you in a triathlon?
I don't know if you'd call it thrilling, but last season was a great one for me. I raced strong, set new PRs and gained a confidence in my abilities that I didn't think I'd ever possess. That's pretty cool!

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
That I deserve to be called an athlete. I always felt like such a poser and was never athletic in school, but now I proudly call myself an athlete. I am going longer, harder and faster (those with dirty minds can simmer down now) than I ever thought possible.

6. What is THE BIG GOAL that you're working towards?
This year it is Ironman Lake Placid. Next year, who knows?! The possibilities are endless.

I shall tag Ms. Sammy B. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

My most embarasing tri moment was crashing into you.
You have come a long way. Keep up the good work.
You are an athlete. And a very strong one at that.

12:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home