Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday swim

Matt invited me to swim with him in his lane today at masters. Even though I'm slower than him, I manage not to slow him down too much and he doesn't make me feel pressured to go faster. I really appreciate that.

This guy shows up late and enters our lane. There is only one guy in the lane next to us, so I'm not sure why he felt the need to join our lane. I have always disliked swimming with this particular gentleman and I know that my opinion is shared by masters swimmers in more than one location. He can be pretty rude - hogging the lane, not letting you pass, riding up on your butt, etc..

So, now I'm feeling pressured and what is worse is that he is not doing the workout with us. So, he is doing IM sets, while we are kicking and we are swimming while he is kicking. We both stopped a few times to let him past us. I was pretty grumpy about it.

But, about halfway through the workout, we all stopped at the same time for a breather. He apologized for screwing up our swim session. Seriously, how can you stay mad when someone openly admits to being sorry about it? So, I was mad no longer and the rest of the swim was just fine.

Oh, and I think he was in our lane, because he can't see the board if he goes any further away. It leads me back to the old adage, "Do not judge lest ye be judged yourself." I'm sorry for being mad at him and for judging him. I think we left on a positive note though, so that's all good!

4 Comments:

Blogger The Blights said...

I think if someone apologizes that's one thing--especially since everyone is just trying to get in their workout and with more than 1 person in a lane at different paces/workouts, it happens.

However, I had someone swim OVER me the other week and we were the only 2 people in the lane. I thought that was uncalled for. That and she didn't say anything she just gave me an evil stare when she left.

Oh well. I guess that will happen in IM and I don't think you're supposed to stop and apologize each time you brush up against someone! All in good practise I suppose!

12:45 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

I always wonder how others percieve me in the pool. I always try to be accomidating to the other swimmers. I know I will be using the lane for a while and will be sharing with multiple Peaple.
Sometimes we all look so sinister in our gogles. When other swimmers stop to at least acknowledge me, it makes me feel much more comfortable.
In time the snow will thaw, and we will be cursing the cars as they hog our lane.

5:43 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

I know what you mean about that guy. I've had the same experience with him. Right when you want to ring his neck, he apologizes and makes you feel guilty. Regardless, he's a big pain to swim with...

Jodi

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

Now, I actually didn't think the guy was that much of a pain to swim with. Yeah, maybe a bit of a lane hog. He probably could/should have started out in the lane next to us.

But at that particular venue, I'd rather hold a few seconds at the wall to let that dude swim through than endure hairy guy yapping away between sets.

Maybe its just because of what I routinely put up with at the YMCA pool, that swimming with real swimmers - rude or not - is just a pleasure. I'm not exactly Mr. Congeniality at 6:00 AM either!

5:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home