Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Back in the saddle again

I'm back in the saddle again...literally. I did a 1:47 ride on Saturday and a 1:43 ride on Sunday. Both went well and my legs and other areas didn't complain too much.

Sunday was the best, because I got to ride with Sam. She has always been one of my biggest fans and has been at all of my big triathlon moments - my first sprint using front crawl AND a road bike (I didn't know her then, but she made a point to give me a picture she had taken), my first Olympic distance (a pregnant Sam did bodymarking and bike pointing with our friend Nicole), my first Half-Ironman (also her first sprint) and now my first Ironman. I swear she was more excited than me leading up to and including race day!

I have been there for all of her first big triathlon moments as well - first sprint (mentioned above), first half-marathon and first Olympic. In September, I will do her first half-Ironman with her. Looking forward to this and to our Dances with Dirt relay really does help stave off a lot of the post-Ironman letdown.

When she was in Lake Placid, she was inspired enough by the day's events to sign up for next year alongside her husband. I'll admit that my response when she told me was decidedly not supportive. I said "Have you lost your mind?!" Now, before you stone me, let me explain. I know how little time she has between work and raising her 2.5 year old daughter, and know how hard it was for two married full-time worker people to train for Ironman at the same time and we only have cats. I certainly wasn't questioning her athletic ability, because she is more than capable as an athlete. But, you know, it isn't up to me to decide these things and I believe that she will put in the time she needs to finish that race.

When Lake Placid comes around next year, I plan to be there for her first Ironman and I will be that enthusiastic fan that she always is for me. I love you Sam and can't wait to see you rock LP!!


2 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Be careful with what you inspire people to do Jen. You may find your self baby sitting. Have fun with that.

6:02 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

True friends!!!

Glad to see you are back in the saddle again!

9:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home