Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, October 22, 2006

First club duathlon/fabulous bike ride

Yesterday was the triathlon club's first duathlon training race event. I went down there to volunteer and then head out for a ride. I was impressed with the turnout of both racers and volunteers. Our race director was MIA (turns out he had a bad flight home and didn't get to bed until 4 AM), so the volunteers took control. I think everyone still had a nice event, even though we didn't offer the usual amenities (transition racks, gatorade, snacks, etc.).

Luckily, Jodi had her Garmin, so she and another club member served as the 1-mile turn cone out on the course. The rest of us manned the timing, turns, etc. One guy was visiting from Saginaw, MI and decided to not only ride with us, but he also volunteered. Thanks Jim! The racers comprised some fast dudes and gals. Janet finished as first female and even beat a few of the men. Betty was the second female and last overall, but she just always has that smile on her face no matter what. My husband overcame a run deficit on the bike to finish 4th overall. Not too shabby!

After the race finished, six of us headed out for a ride, including the 1st and 2nd place guys. The race must have taken some wind out of their sails, because they let me lead most of the time. It was just a beautiful day and I was grateful to have the time to spend riding. We rode some flats in the beginning, but threw in a few hills, a couple monster ones too. I love climbing out of the valley!

With a 2-hour ride and 3 hours of volunteering done, we were famished. Jodi and I decided to satiate our hunger at the Fisher's Tavern. She had the portabello sandwich with mixed veggies on the side (such a good, new vegan!) and I had the creamed chicken and vegetables over biscuits. Yum! Obviously, I haven't seen the new dietitian again yet. : )

Overall, it was a lovely day. Tiring, but lovely!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lloyd said...

Nice ride. You deserved pleasant weather after volunteering.

Not today. I tried a short ride and froze my toes off.

9:06 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

I hope that's not the last nice ride of the year! Maybe this weekend the weather will hold off for us again. I had a great time!

9:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Jodi! Hope the weather is nice this weekend. I can't believe I had to wipe snow off my car today! It's not even Halloween yet!

12:52 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

Sounds like a beautiful day Jen!

11:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home