Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Unexpected expenses

I went to the dentist yesterday to have my bite looked at by my dentist's partner (he specializes in it). Apparently, I have worn the teeth on my left side down by chewing on that side more often (I'm missing a molar on the right side, so I know I do this). This has caused my bite to be off. If I don't get it corrected, eventually I'll wear the right side down (of course I'm chewing there the majority of the time now) and will start chipping my front teeth. Fun! His solution is to fit me for a mouth appliance to wear for at least 6 months to see if my bite will come back to its natural state. After that, they will fix any damage I've done to my teeth and send me on my way.

The appliance must be worn most of the time, day and night. He says it might give me a slight lisp. Good lord! What are you going to do though? I don't want to lose my teeth. I have yet to ask him about wearing the appliance while swimming, biking and running. If the thing isn't supposed to be worn while eating, then I can't take it on a 6 hour bike ride. I don't have enough balance to take the thing out, eat while holding it and then put it back in. I'll ask him these pertinent questions at my appliance fitting appointment. It is supposed to last 3-4 hours, so I suppose I'll have lots of time to ask questions.

Of course, my insurance won't pay for this doohickey. Between the cost of it and the service charges, it cost me over $2,000. Yowza! I just hope it works. He says there is no guarantee.

In other news, I think I'm switching my ART doctor. The one I have now is okay, but he's a tad arrogant. He does a good job on the leg that he's been working on, but never listens to me about any other pain I have (like in the other leg). I feel like I'm in an assembly line - get my 20 minutes exactly and then shove me out the door. My massage therapist works for a real MD, who also practices ART. She recommend him, because she trusts him and I trust her. A bonus is that he's on the east side near where I live unlike the other guy, whose office is on the west side. Hopefully, this new guy can fix me up.

To end on a positive note, I had a good swim this morning. I followed a routine from my coach. Sam J. joined me for it and my husband was also in the lane doing his own thing. After practice, Jodi, Matt and I went to get our hand scanned in order to get into CSU from now on. How futuristic is that?! I just hope no one commits a crime, because if CSI is to be believed, I bet the crime investigators could get hand prints from CSU. Okay, I think I watch too much TV.

Okay, really finished now. Good luck avoiding all of the Halloween candy in your offices and homes!!

5 Comments:

Blogger The Blights said...

Sorry about the teeth! Yikes. However, I expect a pretty good smile when you run across the tape in Placid!

:)

1:25 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

I hate unexpected expenses. Usually mine involve the house. My kitchen ceiling has now caved in twice, so I know how it feels to have the pocketbook disappear. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works!

Jodi

2:05 PM

 
Blogger Deirdre said...

You have been getting hit with the expenses, huh? Hope this works out -- along with you dietician fun.

Glad you had a good swim to make the day!

5:51 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Unexpected expenses suck...especially fun ones like that--sorry lady!

7:27 PM

 
Blogger qcmier said...

Sorry about the bills. Hmm, that hand scanning sounds a bit much just to get into a gym. Maybe I won't go back there.

12:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home