Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, April 02, 2007

April Fool's on Myself

Yesterday, I had a 1:50 hilly run on my schedule. I had enough of city sidewalks, all-purpose trails and even bridle trails, so I headed out for a real trail run - the dirty, muddy, wet kind.

I thought I knew the trails at N. Chagrin reservation fairly well, but I managed to get myself lost. I found this way cool trail that I hadn't been on before, but when I needed to head back to the car, didn't know which way to go. I noticed Squire's castle way below my position on the hill, so I headed down there. It had a map of all the trails, but no point of reference for which way was north. Luckily, a friendly couple helped me figure out the best way to go.

So, I headed off in the direction we decided was best. The problem was there were no trail markers and at one point the trail is completely gone. No problem, I think. I know the general direction I need to go. So, I start heading down this hill completely off trail that would have been great in the "Romancing the Stone sliding down the muddy hill scene". I fell down on my butt, but luckily didn't slide down to the bottom like Kathleen Turner and Mike Douglas did. Finally, I found the trail again and eventually discovered familiar paths.

I was proud of myself for not panicking. It would have been easy to do. Was I foolish for attempting these paths on my own? Maybe, but luckily it worked out for the best. And, while I was slowed down by the trail conditions (mud, trees fallen over the path, etc.), steep hills (both ascents and descents), it was a great run and I'm happy with my performance. Oh, and I was absolutely filthy when I finished. Game on!

6 Comments:

Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Well sometimes it takes getting lost a few times to discover cool new things and places to go. Way to get out there!

10:03 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool. You'll have to come do an adventure race with me one of these days. We can use your stellar sense of direction!

10:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad and I have slid down hills on our butts more than once to undo getting lost!

Sounds like a fun run- see you in May!
Maggie

11:11 AM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

I've been lost on those trails a few times myself!

2:27 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

Way to keep your cool and find your way. Isn't getting dirty fun?

I once did a butt slide through mud to get back on course myself.

8:58 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

glad you found your way out!

10:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home