Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, June 04, 2007

Jen 1, Wheel 0

This past weekend's workouts were uncharacteristically light in anticipation of my upcoming half-Ironman this weekend. I slept, read, had lunch with my fabulous mother-in-law, saw a wonderful piano recital by Matt's cousin, went to bike shop, went to Target, spent time with wonderful husband, etc.

I also practiced changing a flat on my race wheels. The tires are so darn tight and hard to get off and put back on. Whenever I've needed to do it in the past, I would get Matt to help me when I got stuck. Yesterday, I was determined to do it myself.

While taking off the tire, I ripped a big blister hole in my index finger. I didn't cry. I just put on a band-aid and a pair of bike gloves and got back at it. Finally, success! Then, I had to put the tire back on. You would think that something that was so hard to get off would want to go back on, but not so lucky. I struggled, poured sweat and got a blister on my thumb, but I got it back on eventually. My hands ache, but I won the war! : )

I don't want to have a flat in a race, but I'd like to have the confidence to know that with a little patience and elbow grease, I can change it. Yesterday helped. From now until Ironman (just 47 days now!), I plan to practice at least once a week. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best, right?

9 Comments:

Blogger Matt Collister said...

That tire/wheel (Conti GP 3000 / ZIPP 404) is a real bear. I use the same and struggle with it too. But I think that with practice, it will get a little easier for you.

10:25 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Yay! I knew you could do it! With my training wheels I always use the tire irons to pry it back on. But with a carbon wheel it's probably not the best ides!

:-)

Jodi

10:34 AM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

practice makes perfect! It is always better to be prepared than not.

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Sweet! Glad you got it done and didn't freak out (like I would have) when you cut your finger.

47 days! Getting close! :)

4:26 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

determination :) you rock!!

I wish you the very best this coming weekend!! Glad to hear you have some lighter training time which allows a bit of fun and R & R.

4:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I had fun Saturday afternoon with my fabulous daughter-in-law. We'll just have to get Marie a watch that is set 30 minutes ahead.
Jean

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Way to make that tire your beeyotch!

I have NO clue how to change my new wheels. I was just getting used to my old ones. I'm hoping TriEric will help me out. Me so tire clueless. I'm a tire caveman.

47 days! It goes fast, doesn't it?

7:31 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

Wow... 47 days... crazy!!

Glad you were able to show that tire who is boss! I've been thinking I should practice the same thing.

8:42 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Good for you! Sounds like a rather unpleasant experience. Hope it gets easier!

11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home