Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Slug

I feel like a slug right now, an awake slug, but a slug nonetheless. Typically, my day off from training is Monday, but I trained on Memorial Day, so yesterday was my day off instead. Today, I only have Yoga on the schedule. I got to sleep for nearly 8 hours two days in a row! My hair is dry and styled and my clothes actually match. My co-workers are a little weirded out.

Last weekend was a tough, but good weekend. I rode 94.2 miles all on my own steam on a hilly course sometimes in the rain. Matt was out there and we hooked up occasionally, but I was usually by myself. At mile 91, he was behind me on this huge hill saying "imagine you are climbing Papa Bear on the LP course". When I got to the top, I raised my fist in the air in triumph. So, Saturday included a 6-hour ride for 94.2 miles and a 40-minute run for 3.75 miles. I was elated at my performance.

The next day, I got up to do my 2:20 run by myself on the N. Chagrin hilly trails. I wasn't sore and was still pumped from the day before. Apparently, no one told my legs though. 20 minutes into the run I wanted to quit. My legs were so tired and I was so hot. But, I made it through by keeping the pace slow and just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. I think I got a little taste of what the Ironman run is going to feel like.

On Monday, I had a 2-hour recovery ride on flat roads. Matt put my race wheels on my bike. Again, I was pumped to try them out, but my legs weren't in on the plan. I complained most of the time, but I made it through it with a nice draft from my husband for about half the ride. We went for a quick open water swim (yes, the lake is still too cold for me) after to test out the wet suits for the first time this season.

Tuesday's workouts were good though and I'm sure I'll feel great after basically being off Wednesday and Thursday. I look ahead to the weekend and I have mixed emotions. Saturday is a 2-hour ride/30-minute run and Sunday is a 1:15 run. Part of me is looking forward to having some free time and the other part feels like a slug. I haven't had such a light weekend since February. But, I have my first half-Ironman next Sunday (June 10) and while it is not my A race, I'd still like to do well at it.

I guess I'll just enjoy having some free time and catching up on sleep. Soon enough, game will be back on!

7 Comments:

Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Ha! So funny. Especially since I have a not-so-glamourous outfit on and my hair is slightly damp and in a trying-to-be-fashion-forward bun...all because I wanted to run a little farther this morning than the clock would allow.

And, of course, not a soul will mention my deshevaled (sp?) state since this is my typical m.o.

:)

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Look at your Saturday ride as an "A" training day. Really try to nail it. Fuel and hydrate well, get excited about it and ride your heart out. It will make it seem like a more worthwhile day and great prep for your race. Get excited about it! I see a great race day in your future!

:-)

Jodi

1:01 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

when you back off the mileage like that I think it is inevitable you will feel slug like. No worries, you will feel great at your HIM!

1:14 PM

 
Blogger A. M. Mericsko said...

Sleep is a good thing. : )

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

The way you rode that six-hour ride on Saturday was terrific. Really steady. You could have kept time for an orchestra with your pedaling.

3:50 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

I frequent the wet hair pulled in a bun look quite often at work. I get the same kind of wow comments when I actually fix my hair.

Sounds like last weekend was tough! I can relate with the legs not cooperating! Enjoy your lower volume weekend!

6:50 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I usually give the workmates the "glare" when they comment that I look nice. Apparently I regularly go into work looking like the "training" troll!

7:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home