Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Food for the homeless

As I was walking back from lunch today, a homeless guy saw the styrofoam container in my hand and asked "Is that food?" I said "Yes, do you want it?" and he said yes, then took it.

After I handed it off, I thought "Boy, I hope he can find a fork to eat that leftover pasta." Probably not the easiest food to pass off to the homeless. Seriously though, part of me wanted to keep it, because I'm hungry all the time and that would have been a good dinner for me. Charity first though, right? He definitely needed the meal more than I did.

6 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

That was good of you. I am a staunch believer that if the homeless want food I will give it to them, but I have a hard time giving them cash. This way you know that he really was hungry and I am sure he was very grateful for your generosity.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger Eric said...

Good for you Jen. I am sheltered from the homeless since I do not make it downtown that often anymore.

You are a real human "doing"

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Huh. Wow.

I am shocked you had a legitimate hungry homeless person. Generally here in NYC you get the food thrown back at you and a "I dont want your shitty food! give me money!"

11:04 PM

 
Blogger JenC said...

Skirough, In Cleveland it is the same way usually, but this dude must have really been hungry because he didn't ask for cash at all.

8:27 AM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

I am sure that probably made his day and you probably feel pretty good about it too. A win, win!

I went out to lunch this week and let them throw away so much of my delicious meal because I rarely eat leftovers. It is kind of sad how much is wasted while some are so hungry.

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good job, Jen. We refuse to give out money, but we;ve often told panhandlers that we'll gladly get them some takeout. Some take us up on it, but some look down their noses at us. We just refuse to give them money to get alcohol. I'm sure he enjoyed it, even sans fork.

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home