Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Trotting to a new PR

Heading into the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, I thought I might have a chance at a PR. The old one, 46:01, didn't seem too hard to beat.

I headed down there with Matt and my fabulous sister-in-law Maggie. We met up with many CTC friends at the registration site. Before I knew it, it was time to line up for the run.

I probably should have lined up a little further ahead, because I got stuck behind so many people at the beginning. I found myself rabbiting around groups of people at a pace that was probably a little fast for me. But, after the first mile, I found some clear space.

I felt pretty good for the first couple of miles until we got into the sunshine. Wow, was I over dressed, but I'm not complaining because it was a lovely day! I quickly stripped off my gloves and stored them in my shirt which made it look like I had a third boob. Hee hee!

Between miles 2 and 3 were the hardest for me, but once I got past mile 3, I knew I just had to hang on to get that PR.

The last mile included the trip up W. 3rd that always seems to be a part of downtown races. Unlike past years though, we just had to make a left onto Lakeside and run into the finish line. That last mile was definitely my fastest making me believe I had paced appropriately. I came to the line with a new PR of 43:42! Now, I just have to figure out how to hold that pace for 8.1 more miles. Baby steps, right?

After the race, I headed back to find Maggie and Matt. I found them at the top of the W 3rd hill. Matt was telling Maggie that it was time to put on the jets. She told him "not this time", but she kept getting faster. By the time she hit the finish line, I could barely keep up. She also set a new PR by almost 2 minutes - and it was her fastest 5k per mile pace too. Great job Maggie!

After, Maggie and I declared that we had earned our Thanksgiving Day pie. We both wore our Turkey Trot shirts to dinner to celebrate our new PRs, plus it was festive! And, we enjoyed my terrific mother-in-law's feast along with that pie!

7 Comments:

Blogger Matt Collister said...

You guys are fast!

7:58 PM

 
Blogger allanjel said...

GREAT job Jen!!!!!!! You will get to your goals and far beyond :)

11:34 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

sweet congrats! I wore my Turkey Trot shirt to Thanksgiving Dinner too :) Detroit stepped it up, womens fitted long sleeve technicals!

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Mnowac said...

Congrats on a PR! Nice job.

9:33 AM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

You had that all day! Way to earn that pie!

11:07 AM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

way to p.r. !!!!!
I did the solo run thingy turkey day in florida but while that wasnb't a p.r., I bet I ate more than you....haha

9:41 AM

 
Blogger GP said...

Above all else: congrats on an awesome time and a PR! It was a real PR kind of day. And what better way to celebrate your PR than have the whole country sit down and feast in your honor?

It's funny reading your race report, though, because I had pretty much the same experience -- between the registration line ending right when the gun went off to the 2 and 3 mile stretch, the sun and, oh, West 3rd!

And you could totally keep that pace in a half. Just try not to bring the third boob to weigh you down ;-)

11:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home