Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, January 25, 2007

You are kidding, right?

So, as most of you know, I've been wearing an orthotic over my lower teeth in order to relax my jaw muscles. This, of course, is a temporary fix to the TMJ issues (A $2,400 temporary fix, but I digress).

The dentist presented his permanent treatment plan last night. It would involve putting veneers over my top teeth, putting braces on my bottom teeth and then eventually putting veneers on my bottom teeth. Now, he hasn't come right out and said the price for this plan, but he's alluded to it and I've done some research.

Finally, I see the cost on the paper. Drumroll please....$39,000! What?! You are kidding, right?! I said, there is no way I am paying that much for my mouth. My car doesn't cost nearly that much and I can't drive my mouth! The lady says, We have payment plans. Okay, ready for this? The monthly cost would be $851 for 5 years! Good lord! They must be on crack or think that I am. Who has that kind of money just lying around?! I make a decent living (probably better than most Americans), but I don't have that kind of monthly disposable cash and if I did, I'm sure I could find better uses for it.

I asked him if there were other options and told him that my research showed that veneers were just cosmetic. He said that other options would be more invasive or just wouldn't work for my teeth. Okay, invasive I can handle if it is covered by insurance. He seriously wasn't listening to me and told me that I could wear the orthotic for the next year or two while I thought about it. Looks like I'll be in the market for another dentist. I really like the lady that I go to for regular dental work in his practice, but I don't know if I can continue with her given the circumstances.

Aarrgghh! I wish I had just stuck with my old dentist who used to say Everything looks great and would send me on my way. This neuromuscular dentistry is too out there for me. I didn't even know I had TMJ issues until going there.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure something out. In the meantime, I'll keep wearing the orthotic. Good times!

On the plus side, it did give my mother, my husband and I a good chuckle for a long time last night. Crack, I tell you!

6 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

There has got to be better less expensive options out there for you. In my opinion I think this guy is trying to take advantage of you and your money. He's hoping you are the type of person for whom money is no object.

I hope you find someone willing to work with you on a much saner level. It should be criminal for people to try and get you to spend that kind of cash on your teeth!

12:01 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

That is insane! Sounds like he is definitely just trying to make money and not thinking about what is best for you. I hope you can find a dentist who will actually work with you.

9:45 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Bull-honkey...this man is wack!

Run...find a dentist who lives in the real world!

8:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a hammster that would howl like the devil. He didn't throw up though.

2:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen-
I feel your pain on $$$ dental care! I had an awful dentist when I first moved to Charlotte who loved the high priced stuff. Find someone new. As long as you aren't in pain...who cares. And for $39k, get implants and be done with it!

Take Care-
Maggie

4:03 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

For $39K, you could get a new head!

8:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home