Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Another day of swimming

So, today was day two with my new stroke improvements in place. I think I'm getting the hang of it. It feels weird, but it does feel exactly as the swim coach described it should feel. While still not fast, my times were consistent throughout the workout and I don't feel so spent after.

But, of course, one of the other friendly swimmers said after practice, "Can I give you some advice on your stroke?" I really appreciate that they care enough about me to watch my stroke and give me pointers, but I felt like crying (and almost did). I explained that I had just had a lesson and was working on some stroke changes. She told me I should probably just concentrate on those changes and not worry about her advice. I still wanted to know it, so she told me that I don't rotate enough. I'll have to set up another swim lesson in a few weeks to ask about how to incorporate that change along with the others. In the meantime, I'll work on the original changes.

The friendly swimmer told me that she constantly makes changes in her stroke and she's been swimming her whole life. It did make me feel better. I promise I won't cry over swimming. I'm still proud that I can swim at all given my extremely late start at learning it just 4.5 short years ago.

6 Comments:

Blogger Janet Edwards said...

I really like to hear advice from people on ways I can improve the things I do, although I agree that sometimes it is often hard to take.

9:37 AM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

Even great athletes, with natural gifts, are constantly looking for ways to improve. No one has perfect mechanics. And I assure you that any of the "elites" at masters are constantly working on their own form as well (at least the ones who care to improve). You've come a long way, baby, and you're doing all the right things. Don't let it get you down.

9:51 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Who was the friendly swimmer? Rotation has helped me strengthen my stroke a bit. I've made a lot of changes and am always looking for a way to make my form better. Think of it as a positive!

:-)

Jodi

10:00 AM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

you are doing great girl! Most people can't swim one length and you are doing 4,000 daily! You rock!

10:55 AM

 
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Keep on improving, Jen. 4.5 years is a VERY short time to learn to swim and perfect your technique if you didn't learn when you were a kid. It sounds like you are doing the right thing with the lessons. :)

5:24 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

I wish someone would give me advice. I am constantly wondering how I am doing. It is so hard to tell since you cannot see yourself.

Just keep doing what you are doing and everything will come together.

11:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home