Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Truly a runner?

Last night as I was taking the elevator down to leave work, a lady gets on at one floor. She is pretty, thin, stylishly dressed, wearing make-up and these really cool high heels (the skinny kind). She says "I love your running clothes!" I say "Thanks", but am thinking "Wow, I am never put together like that even when I try" (which I don't all that often these days - I'm lucky to be clean).

As I follow her to the garage, I watch her impeccable high heel walking style. Due to feet issues from running, I haven't worn real high heels in years. She turns around and says "How far are you running tonight?" I say, "7-8 miles". She then tells me that she recently went on a low-carb, low refined sugar, high protein diet coupled with running with the result of losing 48 POUNDS IN 7 WEEKS. Holy crap! Now, while I wouldn't recommend losing weight so fast, that is awfully impressive. Maybe that is why she wears all the fun clothes and high heels. Why wouldn't you if you'd had such an accomplishment?

Anyway, so I tell her that she looks fabulous and I really meant it. Her reply was "Thanks, but I wish I looked like you. You can really tell that you are a runner." Now, I laughed at that. Sure, I was dressed the part, but I don't really consider myself a runner. An athlete? Sure A triathlete? Most of the time. But not a runner. Unlike TriSara and E-Speed, I don't heart running. I think it is because of this stupid leg. Regardless, it was a very nice thing of her to say.

When I went to run with Tim and E-speed last night, I told them this story. They both said they think of me as a runner and commented on how much I've improved in the last year. That is high praise from two very talented athletes. So, I guess I'll call myself a runner from now on. I just hope the leg holds out, so I can back it up with actual running.

10 Comments:

Blogger Matt Collister said...

I think the lady on the elevator was right!

"Who can call him/herself an 'athlete'?" is one of the favorite debates of some of the gas-bags on slowtwitch.com. There are, unfortunately, some out there who think this term ought to apply only to those who perform at a certain level, etc.

Life's too short for all that. If you think you're an "athlete," then you are one.

And in when it comes to you, if someone challenged me on that point, I'd just kick their ass.

1:01 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

awwe I love Matt's comment! So sweet! And you are definitely a runner girl. Since you are training for Ironman you have to slow down etc but I guarantee if you tapered and actually raced any run right now you would surprise yourself!

Just keep chugging and keep stretching that hip and ITB!

1:24 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Woman, how many more miles do you think you have to run to be considered a runner??? You better believe you should consider yourself a runner!

1:53 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Holy crap, girl, you are SO a runner. Daisy's right!

And pretty soon you'll be an IRONMAN, too! :)

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Papa Louie said...

And because you Tri, you are a runner. Once someone runs a race they are a runner. As long as you run and race you are a runner.

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

well, my opinion won't differ from the consensus ... no doubt in my mind, you're a runner!!

I feel desparate to get back to losing weight ... maybe I should try nicely-garbed lady's diet! :)

5:01 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

I definitely need her diet... pretty sure she is not out of control. :-)

Now, you are definitely a runner!!!

7:36 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Cool story, runner girl!

:-)

Jodi

8:48 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Funny, I see you at all these RUNNER EVENTS, and you are always RUNNING in them....Don't you lead a group run?.
Of course you are a runner. Leg problems happen to runners.

BTW, I noticed your countdown says 100 days! It's comin'.

11:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a lot of legs on my table. You definitely have the legs of a runner. There's no denying you ARE a runner!

8:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home