Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Swim Form

It's been awhile since I had a swimming lesson, so I scheduled one with a local swim coach who swims at masters with me and has given me lessons before. I just wanted to make sure my stroke wasn't too out of whack with all the yardage I've been doing lately.

Of course, there were issues. My elbow is dropping before I pull, my hands aren't wide enough, my catch isn't deep enough and I'm breathing too long. Her recommendation is for me to use the pull buoy and paddles almost exclusively and then wean myself off of them when I start to "get it".

Now, I don't want to be contradictory, but I simply cannot use paddles for that much yardage. Oh also, she recommends starting with 2000 yards and building up again. Well, my coach has 4000 on the schedule, so that's what I'll be doing.

I'm a fast learner. I implemented the changes today including about 1000 yards of pull/paddles. While I don't think I was any faster, I do believe I wasn't slipping as much and hope to improve gradually. It's all about the baby steps, right?

It would be cool if I could bring my 100 meter time through stroke improvement not stroke turnover. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's great you looked to someone for advice. And I'm sure if you discussed with coach you'd find a happy medium between your scheduled workouts and your recommended stroke improvement drills. You're really upping those daily and weekly totals. Except on this blog!

Get on the stick! This is the first time in weeks you've posted two posts in a row. JK. Get that training in.

4:48 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for reminding me to add ice-baths to my post-marathon advice post! In answer to your question, "skins" are compression tights- in NZ /Aus they're the biggest brand by far. I've been using them during and/or after hard runs and have found that my leg pain is far less than last season.

K

6:41 AM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

I wonder if you told coach about the lessons if she would come up with somthing in the middle.

I give you a lot of credit for of all your swim dedication! Send some this way...!

9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home