Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, May 07, 2007

Big Volume

So, I survived my first 20-hour week of training. It was no picnic, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm sure this is just the beginning of the big volume, so I will just have to get used to it.

On Saturday, in the middle of my 4-hour ride, I told my riding partner, Paula, that I wasn't feeling so minty fresh. She said "you stink?" "No", I said, "Just feeling kind of fatigued and not looking forward to going back up that big ass hill that we just careened down." She told me that we'd take it slow and get it done. And, we did. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I couldn't ride it entirely in the saddle, but I did ride every other hill on that hilly course in the saddle as instructed. Honestly, my "out of the saddle" legs were not entirely present anyway, so there wasn't much of a choice. We averaged just under 16 mph for the entire ride, but it was a good ride nonetheless and I felt good by the time we headed out for our 45-minute run.

On Sunday, Stacy and I headed out for a 2:15 run on the Buckeye Trail. Hilly and muddy as expected, but we had fun doing it. I tried out my new trail shoes, which were fine for the most part except for the two huge blisters I got (including my first blood blister). We didn't cover a lot of ground (just shy of 11 miles), but the hill training and root/rock running was priceless. Still money in the IM bank.

I got back home in time to get ready for the CTC picnic. It was a laid back affair. It was nice to catch up with everyone in a purely social situation. DaisyDuc put in an incredible 20-mile run on Saturday then not only won the duathlon she raced on Sunday, but she also led our CTC group ride before the picnic. Amazing! Then, I talk to Jodi and she went 125 miles on her bike on Saturday. Holy cow! I guess I know what I have in store for me soon (she's about a month ahead of me in the IM schedule and we have the same coach).

When I got home, I went down for a nap and stayed down for nearly 2 hours! You'd think that would keep me from falling asleep, but no, I fell asleep by 10:30 PM and had to drag my butt out of bed at 6 AM. Thankfully, today is a rest day. So, the big volume is here, but I'm ready for it. Just need to schedule the naps now. : )

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Interesting that you say "we didn't cover a lot of ground" and then follow that up with "just shy of 11 miles". Ummmm, 11 miles is a lot of ground, to those of us who are not in fabulous shape and training rigorously like you (and your tri-amigos). I'm still working to hit 3 miles!!

And, btw, you certainly deserve the naps!! :)

You rock, Jen!!

1:36 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Aren't big training weeks great?? I love them. And I love how good I sleep on the weekends

:-)

Jodi

7:24 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

It makes my mini-bricks blush in comparison. You're putting tons of training time in your bank. Make sure you rest as hard as you train. Take the naps when you need them and carve out as much extra time for sleep as you can.

5:28 AM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

sounds like a great run! 20 hours is so hard core, you rock!

10:35 AM

 
Blogger qcmier said...

Twenty hours in a week!!! I'm barely at 20 hours for the year.

10:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home