Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I suck!

My husband hates it when I say that I suck, but man, sometimes it is just totally true.

My swimming is just terrible. I know, compared to 95% of the population who either don't know how to swim or would never get off their lazy ass, I'm a great swimmer. But, you know how it is. When you swim with other people who swim, it is hard not to be down on yourself.

I really try hard to not compare myself to other people, because we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Of course, my strengths include being a total goofball and mad dancing skillz (not sure where that gets me), but I digress. I am not asking to be faster than others, just faster than me.

I know people hit plateaus. I guess I'm cool with that, but I'm slower than I was before I started this swimming class. All around me, the other swimmers are improving. Yes, I can't compare myself to others, but I want some improvement too damn it! The good news is that I seem to have a smoother stroke and I'm patient enough to wait for a breakthrough. Sometimes, you just got to whine though and what better platform than this blog? In the grand scheme of things though, it isn't important so I'll buck up! : )

After this morning's swim, Sam and I hit the new little coffee shop on the way out of the rec center. In just one short week, we've become regulars. The lady said "the usual?". I love that!

And, today is Valentine's Day. Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I'm celebrating by having lunch with 4 of my good buddies, getting back to Yoga class tonight and then spending a nice evening with my fabulous husband (we'll do the dinner thing this weekend).

9 Comments:

Blogger GP said...

My strengths include (and are limited to) eating cupcakes and imitating people dancing.

Oh, and spending too much time comparing myself to other people in the pool.

I'm the queen of worrying too much about whether I'm swimming faster, smoother, slicker, better than other people. That's why I only swim at pools where people 75+ swim. It's better for my ego ;-)

But seriously, I think swimming (as an adult) is like running a REALLY wide set of stairs: you run at the same pace for an eternity, then you suddenly hop up to the next level.

My problem was always not incorporating enough interval work, not kicking (at all) and really just relaxing into my stroke when I could/should have been pushing a little harder.

Once I started pushing myself on distance swims, I broke through one threshold and settled in for the next. Obviously there's more to it than TADA!, but your comments aren't really the place for me to become a swimming lecturer ;-)

Most important thing: you want to improve your swimming and you're taking action. You're 3/4 of the way there. High five!

P.S. I donated my hair too! Thanks for the inspiration.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

your swim times will come down...but in the meantime...enjoy valentines day with your hubby.

4:28 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

Jen, you're a GOOD swimmer.

You can do no more to prove that that's not true than you can to prove that "I suck" is true.

Matt

5:19 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

What is this "I suck" NONSENSE??!?!?!?!?!?! Jibberish!

Ms. Ironman, you are one tough cookie. And you are a GOOD swimmer, too. And have mad dancing skillz. Or so I hear. :)

Hope to see ya next weekend!

7:50 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

awwe bummer, darn work trip on v day so I not only get home late but I also miss yoga time with Jen :(

Hope it was a good class!

8:03 AM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

You don't suck, or I must really suck! If only we swam together, perhaps we would be comparable.

In my book, anybody who can swim ironman distance, is not a sucky swimmer!

8:22 AM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

The dreaded comparing to others - I do it to. Must stop!

And you do not suck! You are an Ironman.

I'll be in Cleveland in May... I might need to see these mad dancing skills. :-)

7:28 PM

 
Blogger B Bop said...

Anyone who completes that 2.4 mile swim (along with the rest of the day) does NOT suck! If I were in RR's clinic with you you would probably feel better about your swimming.

I still haven't hit the new cafe across from the rec center, but I'm glad it went in because good options within walking distance are kinda slim.

3:25 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Oh Jen ... my dear friend who couldn't suck on any day of her life!

I know it's easy to get into the rut of comparing yourself to others (in a multitude of fields--I have many areas that make me feel inferior), but you just have to know that you rock in so many ways.

And, I can speak to the mad dancing skills as we have been honing those since our teen days in the big C-town ... you indeed are fabulous!!

Keep your chin up. Before you know it you'll be seeing exactly the improvement you're looking for.

:) love you

1:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home