Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Officially an FSA!

I have completed all requirements to become an FSA (some say Fun Sucked Actuary, but actually means Fellow in the Society of Actuaries) as of 15 minutes ago!

This course was definitely the easiest part of my almost 14-year journey. We basically just had to show up to class on-time and stay for each session. Not too difficult, although I did drink my fair share of alcohol last night. : ) I've met some cool people. I've also met a lot of geeks, but hey, you expect that in this profession. They're nice geeks though.

I learned today that there are 18,000 SOA members and a little over 10,000 have the FSA designation. 73% work in the U.S.A. Given the large size of the U.S. population, there aren't many of us as a proportion. It kind of makes this math geek feel special. It certainly was a tough row to hoe and I'm not sure I'd do it all over again, but am ecstatic to be finished finally!

Tonight is our formal reception where we get our certificates from the SOA president. I chatted with the dude at the last session and albeit a bit stiff, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I wish Matt could be here to share it with me, but we'll celebrate this weekend.

Oh yah, still owe you a DWD report. I will get on it that sooner than later I promise! For now, I need to go run in the Atlanta heat (did I mention drinking last night? this should be fun!)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jen! Completing a goal always leaves one with a sense of accomplishment, pride and surprisingly disappointment. What do I do now? Is that all there is? But it should always be a boost to your self esteem. (You can tell I'm in my teacher mode!)
Jean

5:13 PM

 
Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Congrats! That is pretty cool... from one nerd to another :)

8:56 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

Congratulations - that is a terrific accomplaishment that you worked very hard for. I am very proud of you!

5:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jen!

10:15 AM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Congratulations!!! I remember hearing from TriShannon how freaking hard that is to do. Kudos! Now go drink some beer!

:)

10:11 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Woo Hoo! Any and all accomplishments are yo be celebrated. Athlete, mathlete, insurance industry guru...you rock them all!

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Mr. Love would be ridiculously proud to know about your hard work and success!! You are fantastic ... an Ironman smarty pants. :D I just think you are absolutely fabulous!!

Love you

3:23 PM

 
Blogger GP said...

Wow: Ironman and FSA... all in one summer? You go, girl! We'll have to start referring to you as a multi-hyphenate, like FSA-Ironwoman-Butt-kicker-extraordinaire Jen C.

Many congrats!

12:21 PM

 
Blogger TriShannon said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations! Speaking form experience, those exams are hard! Nice work!

9:37 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Congrats Jen!!! What a relief it must be to finally be through all that!!!

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home