Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Perception

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and remembered that he was planning to do a half-marathon soon. I couldn't remember which one, so I asked. He said that it was the Cleveland half. I told him I'd be there as well. We discussed goal times and while he did have a specific time in mind (faster than mine), his main goal will be to stay in front of me. LOL!

I saw him today and asked if he was getting excited. He said that he was so nervous and just wished that it was here already. I looked internally and asked myself if I felt the same way. The answer? Not a bit. Maybe it is because I've done so many of them or maybe it is because I hadn't even thought to sign up until a few days ago. I don't know, but I have a hard time getting worked up about anything these days after Ironman. It is weird.

I wonder if I'll feel the same way about my next Ironman or if it will be just another day.

A few years ago, I was having dinner with husband and he casually mentioned thinking about doing Ironman CDA with a few CTC members with no fan support. At the time I was hugely offended. Ironman was an EVENT! I had to put up with all of his training and tiredness, so I should get to go. His response? "It is just a race". Of course, he'd done several by then and to him, it was just a race. Interesting.

I wish I knew when I would get to train for and race Ironman again. We want to start a family sooner than later and I know that presents its own time and priority challenges. Add to that my demanding job and it just doesn't seem possible.

Well, if I could train less hours, maybe it could happen for me again. I don't know if I need to put in the punishing number of hours that I did the first time. There is something to be said for having a solid, consistent base. Also, I personally feel that Ironman day is mostly mental. You can do anything for one day, right? You just can't let your body tell you otherwise. Maybe I'm cracked, but it is my opinion (like buttholes, it may stink). : )

Anyway, my good friend Sam and her husband (parents of a lovely 3-year-old daughter) are off to Disney this weekend to race their first half-Ironman as a tune-up race prior to Ironman Lake Placid. They have put in the hours and now it is their time to shine. Good luck and have fun!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

I'm with ya. Ironman has a funny way of rewiring you. :)

Excited to share a race day with you Sunday! I'll call ya Saturday to discuss the deets!

7:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the ironman helped, but I also think your husband has had a "calming" effect on you over the years. He's a cool cucumber and ya can't help but pick it up!

7:14 AM

 
Blogger GP said...

Well, my goal is just to see you on Sunday! Have a great race. And I'd like to think the great muddy run on the trails (which was way rad) has helped temper me to rain. So, thanks!

I don't get worked up about races anymore either. I used to get really nervous and wish it would all be over. Until I really started racing. It's such an awesome experience -- great race, crappy race, whatever -- that I look forward to and relish the time.

What's better than running with a few thousand other like-minded people? Not much.

9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home