Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Unofficial PR at Cleveland Half-marathon


Well, I didn't make an official PR, but I did unofficially. The course was a little long at 13.25 miles according to my Garmin (Sara and Shannon got the same length).

My official time was 2:03:14, which still is my second fastest half-marathon ever. I can tell you that it wasn't an easy run for me. My average HR was 169 and the last 3 miles were well over 170. Around mile 3, I was doubting my sanity for getting into a race for which I didn't really train, but my thoughts the whole race ran the gamut from that to "I think I can PR".

It helps that I know the course so well. This is my regular running grounds, so I know when to hold back and when to push it. Also great was seeing E and Solar cheering on the W. 3 hill between miles 2 and 3 and my husband at the mile 6 aid station.

The best part of the morning though was hanging with TriSara and TriShannon before and after the race. Such fun gals - finally got to meet Shannon in person! It was also awesome to meet TryguyJT after the race finished.

It was a great weekend for meeting blogger pals. On Saturday, I got to meet M (Trying to Tri) when I met up with her and K for a 3-hour ride. We were praying that the rain would hold off and for the most part it did, although the wind was high for sure. We did one loop of the GCT course and then I led us out into Fairport Harbor and beyond for the second half. K is quite the biker and she smoked M and me on several occasions. Luckily for me, she didn't know the route, so had to slow down every once in awhile. : ) Those ladies will be more than prepared for their first half-Ironman in August at GCT!!

Do I think I would have done better if I didn't ride 3 hours on Saturday? Maybe yes, maybe no. Likely no though. I haven't done any speed work, so today was mostly mental anyway. It was worth risking it to hang out with two fun ladies.

12 Comments:

Blogger GP said...

What a race! I was keeping an eye out for everyone (but managed to see no one), and I think I only saw E under the bridge.

It was pretty neat running in such familiar territory... and actually made the race FLY!

Congrats on an awesome race. And, umm, how do you do that after a 3-hour ride? I guess it's just you being the Ironwoman.

4:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant thank you enough for being Monica and my's tour guide on Saturday. It felt great to be back in Cleveland with familar faces! I will return once again in the middle of June, if you are up for another ride! Awesome job at the Half! I knew you would be fine, you are wonder woman! Good to see you!

7:49 PM

 
Blogger tracie said...

great job jen!!! :)

7:50 PM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

Hey Jen...

It was great to finally meet you..funny...bumped into your hubby week or so back at west end pool, and then I meet you at the Half Mary..
Great job on the time...plus your 3 hour ride sat.
I didn't know matt was at mile 6 water..I was probably zoning out at the time..haha
Have a great week..its late sunday night and I am gassed at work..haha...

10:34 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Well done.

11:59 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

great job girl! If you didn't have to stand around in the rain forever at the start you would have had an official PR in the bag for sure!

5:29 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Congrats on the (unofficial) PR! Nice run!!

7:13 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

way to go jen!! congrats on a great race!

11:19 AM

 
Blogger ramblings of a runnner said...

way to go on the p.r.!!! let me know the next time you guys get out for a ride - i would love to join you!

2:38 PM

 
Blogger Mnowac said...

Awesome job!!!!! You got a little rain on both of your workouts this weekend.

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

I'd call that a PR. You rock! Love you baby!

10:54 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

AWESOME job!!!

It was so fun to have a race day with you!

8:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home