Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Falling apart

I know it isn't true, but I do feel like I'm falling apart. Maybe, it is just typical stuff for a 35-year-old, but I doubt it.

My IT band hasn't been getting any better, so I went to a physical therapist yesterday. Dr. Ockler came highly recommended by my coach and by the Snicker's girl. He told me that the reason my ART isn't working is because the doc is treating the symptoms and not the cause. My right leg is having issues, because my left leg is totally screwed up. My pelvis is so off that one leg is longer than the other. The shorter leg has to reach farther to the ground, which is irritating my IT band.

Doc Ockler thinks he can get me back in shape, but I have to avoid running for the next two weeks. I'm allowed to swim, bike (spin only, no gear mashing) and elliptical, but no running, stretching or weight lifting. Oh, and no missionary position sex. Standing and kneeling are the only two options for now. I have to admit to that conversation being a little weird. It started with "you have a depressed pelvis". I giggled. "Does it need Prozac?", I asked. He laughed.

Anyway, he gave me two exercise to do 30 times a day for the next two weeks. I then go back on December 19. He would have liked to have seen me sooner, but he's heading out to Colorado for a vacation next week. Hope I can hold it together until then.

So, I had a 2.5 hour trainer ride (supposed to do the Lake Placid course on the CT) followed by a 30-minute run scheduled this morning. Instead, I set up the Fluid II in front of the TV, turned on the movie "Mean Girls" that I had DVR'd last night and set to spinning. I thought I'd try for at least 2 hours, but it just wasn't happening. After 90 minutes, I called it quits.

Now, you may say "Hey, you have time to work on your swim?" Well, I'm not so sure about that either. Yesterday, I had 3000 yards planned at CSU. About halfway through, a painful twinge ran through my left bicep during a 50-yard lap of backstroke. I thought, "No more backstroke for me today", which worked fine until around 2650 yards when my bicep started twanging during the front crawl. D'oh! I finished up at 2700 yards and called it a day. Hope it was just a random twinge and not a premonition of what is to come.

Okay, enough griping from me. I'm sure I'll look back at this post in a few months and barely remember not being able to run, having pain on the bike and twanging during the swim. Of course, I know I'll be tired and in pain from the Ironman training, but I can handle that. Injuries are much tougher for me than just plain emotional and physical exhaustion from hard training.

Wish me luck. I promise to continue to appreciate how good I really have it and not wallow in self pity!

11 Comments:

Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Jen, Sorry to hear about your frustration! However hopefully all this will set you on the wonderful road to healing and you will be strong in no time. Best of luck!

8:45 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Oh no! That is extremely frustrating. Hopefully this new doc will help straighten you out and heal you right up. I got pneumonia really bad last January, and I thought it would KILL my training. It did, for a little bit, and then I got better and I was able to get back into the swing of things pretty quickly....so here's hoping the same for you!

10:32 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

Hey I am sorry it will take time to heal but I am glad you got a second opinion and that he thinks he can help get you back to 100%.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger The Blights said...

I wouldn't worry to much. It will get better, the new doc will help and yes, in a few weeks time you'll be up and running, biking and swimming faster than ever.

And I don't think you're griping! As you basically said, sometimes it takes some crappy things in life/training to help us appreciate the good days even better!

Hope you have a good Sunday. Sun's out today!

11:47 AM

 
Blogger Papa Louie said...

I think Dr. Ockler should be of good help to bring you back to some serious running. Hang in there and continue the cross training.

4:28 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Lake Placid is a long way time from now. The good fortune of being able to address these issues now rather than june may be a blessing.
Your motivation is still strong. Do the work you can. it will only make you stronger.

6:33 PM

 
Blogger Eric said...

Good to hear that your legs issues will hopefully have some resolutions soon. Did Dr. O say how far off you were.

I had a weird twinge in my right bicep Friday for no reason what so ever.

You don't know how hard I'm trying to NOT make a comment about the sex. Aimee won't let me say anything else. 'Nuf said.

8:54 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains! After yesterday I can totally relate. I don't think there is a muscle or joint in my body that doesn't hurt right now!

On the bright side, it sounds like you have found someone that will help you solve your problems not just mask the pain.

I haven't looked at my week's schedule yet, but hope to see you in the pool this week!

Jodi

9:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the poster child for overtraining, I know tt's difficult to cut back when you want to go-go-go, but keep in mind that the fitness you need will be built through long-term consistency. I don't think there is a critical workout you can't afford to miss or reduce, especially at the cost of injuring yourself. You're ddoing the right thing, I know it.

And Eric, to emphasize, the PT said missionary sex, not ALL sex!

10:32 AM

 
Blogger Deirdre said...

Jen - so glad you saw Dr. O -- he is a kick, huh? I have been off a whole week but due to having too much other stuff on my plate and a total lack of discipline since returning from San Diego.

Don't worry about the training -- you have a whole bunch of time for miles before LP. I had a couple set backs in my training and it didn't matter one bit!!

Take care of yourself - Deirdre

6:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the aches and pains. Hope they disappear soon. By the way what about custom orthotics for the leg length discrepancy?

10:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home