Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, January 05, 2007

10,000!

I hit a new weekly mileage record this week - 10,000 yards! I swam 3,000 on Tuesday night, 3,500 on Wednesday morning and 3,500 this morning. What a difference a few years makes! I swam with Matt today and it was just so nice to swim with him. We did the warm-up (400 swim, 400 kick, 400 pull, 8 x 50 on 1:05, 200 drill) and then decided to swim a straight 1,200. It took him 750 yards to lap me (it used to take only a few laps, so I'm quite proud of that). I finished up with a 300 kick and 200 cooldown.

After this morning's swim, I reflected about my first days of swimming in 2002, when I trained for my first sprint triathlon. I didn't know how to swim freestyle, so I would alternate between side stroke, breast stroke (with head out of water) and back stroke. I felt accomplished if I made it .5 mile.

I got swimming lessons and three years later, I prepared for my first half-Ironman. I thought Matt was on crack when he told me I needed to swim at least 2,000 yards to prepare for it. That just seemed too far.

Even in early 2006, I couldn't believe Angela wanted me to swim 2,500 yards at one time.

I guess it is all about perspective. I still don't know how I'm going to get much more than 3,500 in during a CSU masters practice, because with all the stopping and starting, I run out of time. But, if she assigns more, then I will find a way to do more (like getting in early like Jodi does).

The IM swim doesn't seem so daunting anymore. I felt like I could do 700 more yards today. Now, doing that followed by 112 miles of biking and 26.2 miles of running is a different story. But, I'm confident that come race day, it will be no biggie. Got to keep it all in perspective, right?! : )

9 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

dang little fishy! You are giving me a guilt trip on my lack of swimming :)

11:30 AM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Yahooooooooooooo! Way to go! :)

5:21 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

It was fun swimming with you this morning. I thought you did very well in a long workout. Those are the kind of workouts you need to do to prepare!

6:04 PM

 
Blogger The Blights said...

Way to go withthe mileage chica! Swimming looks awesome as well.

4200yds? No worries. ;-)

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

You're going to be great at LP! You get most improved swimmer of the year. All your hard work has paid off big time!

Jodi

10:23 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Way to go.
Your swim success gives me hope for my own aquatic success. I read this post prior to my pool work out this evening and it pushed me to swim long.knowing what you are doing lets me know where I need to be in a month.

10:29 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

That's a big week- I am finding it much easier to get the swimming mileage up too! Though 3500 doesn't quite seem normal yet...

You're going to be great on race by- if your attitude and your training are anything to go by!

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Such an inspiration! Now if someday I can get close...

9:16 AM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Awesome! Glad to hear. We missed you at USMS this morning... I actually broke the streak of LAZY and got up this morning. Did most of the workout... but my shoulder's been hurting lately, so I dropped out with 6 - 75's left to go.

You swim VERY well... this from someone who started swimming competatively at 5... I was AWESOME until I hit 9... then not such a standout anymore...

I think if you stick with JT you'll be fine... she got like 4K in this morning.

Hope to catch you soon.

2:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home