Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Back on the horse (so to speak)

I ran today for the first time in almost 3 weeks. The PT cleared me to give it a try. It was no long run, but I did get to run for 30 minutes. I ran on the treadmill, because I wanted the option to stop without being stuck out somewhere. It was okay. I felt a twinge of irritation every now and then, but for the most part, I felt fine. My HR was elevated, probably from the lack of running. I didn't go fast. I only made it 2.8 miles in that 30 minutes, but it was better than not running.

I go back to the PT on Friday afternoon. Hopefully, everything will be still in place and he'll clear me for more running. Christmas morning is our traditional annual Collister Jingle Bell Jog, where Matt and I run together. We don't typically run together, because he is way faster than me, but holidays are an exception. And, this year, his sister is going to join us. She is training for the Cleveland marathon in May and Matt and I are so proud of her! Last year was her first half-marathon and now she's moving up to the marathon. Good on her!

So, hopefully running is back on again. Swimming has been tough lately, because I've had pain running down my left shoulder through my bicep. It isn't bad enough to not swim, but it makes me nervous that it is a sign of things to come. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and staying positive that this is just a glitch from the additional volume and speed I've been adding.

Speaking of volume, I'm really happy with myself with the longer swims I've been doing. Two years ago, 2000 yards seemed terribly far. Now, 2500 yards is an easy day for me. I never thought I'd get to that point. I suppose in a few months, 3500 yards will seem like an easy day too. It is all about perspective.

In summary, game back on (I hope)! Wish me luck!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Blights said...

Best of Luck! Glad you got that run in and hopefully your Friday session will go well!

Have fun running with Matt and his sister. Luckily, Dan is just starting off, so I've been able to get him to run SLOW with me. But I'm sure that won't last long. ;-)

See you tomorrow!

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Eric said...

I hear ya about the training distance. It almost doesnt' seem worthwhile to get in the water unless I'm doing at least 2500.

Glad to hear things are coming around. The only help I can be on the trainer is to make sure you stand every 10 minutes to help with pressure. riding inside sure does suck.

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Congradulations on the run.

10:41 PM

 
Blogger qcmier said...

Glad you're back and running.

I know exactly how you feel about the swimming volume. I remember my first 6400 meter day. After that IM swim distance - piece of cake.

12:44 AM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Glad to hear you made it back out running again, best of luck with a speedy recovery.

Perhaps someday, my perspective will change on swimming.

8:55 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

So good to hear that you're back on track! We need those miles for the VTC!

;)

See you tomorrow morning. I'm in for 4000...

Jodi

10:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home