Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, January 08, 2007

Chocolate

Years ago, I used to give up chocolate candy for lent. It really wasn't that tough, because I wasn't a huge chocolate candy fan. I preferred brownies, cookies, cake, etc. I know, lent is supposed to be about sacrifice, which is why I've given up lent for lent the last few years. : )

Anyway, I've usually been really good about not getting candy bars from the vending machine or grocery store or... Then, at my old job, one of the interns maintained a candy drawer with all kinds of good stuff. I didn't go there every day, but it was frequent enough. Luckily, he didn't sit that close to my office.

At my new job, I maintain a candy jar in order to lure people into my office to chat. I figure it is an easy way to get to know them. Only problem is I can't stay away from the darn thing! To make matters worse, my company gave us each a box of chocolates (and nuts) from Malley's for the holidays and I've slowly been working my way through it.

So, today, I'm resolved to change things. I put the remaining chocolates out to share with my coworkers and it was gone within an hour. I had Matt buy chocolates that I definitely don't like to stock my candy dish. Just a few good ones left in there and then I will be free.

I need to bring some more healthy snacks to supplement my food intake, because the additional hunger brought on by training causes me to eat the bad items. Repeat to self, Must make better choices to feed Ironman training calorie deprived body!

10 Comments:

Blogger The Blights said...

Isn't it too bad that a fresh veggie or fruit tray won't invite people in to talk?

Come to think of it, my Tofu platter didn't work out well either? Hmmm.

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

But what about the antioxidants and endorphin releasing chemicals in Chocolate?

Easy for me to say I eat chocolate and/or candy in general like MAYBE once a month... my vices are much worse for me than candy.

Good luck with the luring of people into the candy trap of talking.

I have no doubt that you will be great on race day and in no small part because of your strong will.

Good luck the giving up lent for lent thing, very interesting hypothesis, I'll have to look into that one.

2:46 PM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

My work is funny. We pretty much all have our own quirky food issues. The result is no unhealthy foods here. My boss even knew enough not to bring in a cake for my Birthday. What a guy!

Way to take some positive steps to staying lean and mean for IM!

:-)

Jodi

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

Chocolate...mmm
Working over a pasty case all day is always flirting with disaster.
We keep a ton of fruit in the shop now. It really helps me out.

5:08 PM

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

I've been snacking on walnuts. Which apparently are good for you because they help decrease inflammation caused by other fatty foods. who knew?

5:56 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Ahhhh yes...I remember the days when I ate everything that wasn't nailed down...and LOST weight....sigh... :)

I'm with you, though, if it's in front of me, I will eat it. I bought Halloween candy that I DIDN'T like this year--brilliant! No more 18 Reese's cups for lunch! ha ha

BTW--You were RIGHT! Shared powers! Very impressive. :)

6:07 PM

 
Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Typically I am not too bad with chocolate. My usual trick is to to buy twizzlers b/c they're lowfat. However, I usually buy the big bag b/c the bargain shopper that I am knows that is the best deal. Then the problem is I like them so much that I start to fixate on wanting more twizzlers until alas I have consumed serveral servings and way too many calories.

Best bet is to keep all goodies away!

9:14 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I buy these yummy dark chocolate squares and take one to work each day- it usually stops me from wanting all the other chocolate, and while it's not perfect, it's 57 calories I can handle.

3:37 PM

 
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Now wait a minute, you can abstain from milk chocolate and other candies, but here is a little quote to ponder,"Only a small daily treat of dark chocolate may substantially increase the amount of antioxidant intake and beneficially affect vascular health,".
You should to treat yourself once in a while during your hard training efforts with delicious dark rich chocolate.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Eric said...

I'm with Papa Louie. I've been getting used to dark chocolates. Aimee prefers that and it's "better" for you.

4:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home