Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Permanent

So, I'm getting orthotics for sure. That's fine with me, but I'm kind of bummed out by the conversation I had with the doc.

Me: Is there anything I can do..stretch, strength train, ice, whatever....to help get this knee back where it is supposed to be?

Doc: No, once the ligaments are stretched out, there is nothing you can do to fix it and I will debate anyone who says otherwise.

Me: Seriously?

Doc: Yep, the easy answer is to stop running, but that obviously isn't the answer for you. The orthotics and treatment will get you through your race.

Well, I am happy that he is allowing me to continue running and riding. I'm also glad that the orthotics should ease the symptoms. I guess I just thought this would be like any injury - follow a prescribed treatment method and eventually it would get better. It has worked for every other injury I've had.

This is where perspective helps. 1) I still have my legs; 2) I am still allowed to run and ride; 3) The orthotics and treatment will make the runs IT band pain free.

I go in tomorrow afternoon to get fitted for the orthotics. Once they come in, he says it will take awhile before I can run in them (got to get used to them by walking first). I'll keep you posted.

5 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

uggh. I wouldn't be happy with that answer either, but orthodics aren't the end of the world. I had to wear them in college for my foot. They seem to last for a pretty long time. The biggest pain for me was buying the same running shoe every year because I knew my orthodic fit with that shoe :)

I hope this is the solution to the pain.

11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some words of encouragement....i wear my orthotics in several different pairs of shoes- even casual/dress shoes. and you know how much i love my orthotics. i have tons of hope for you!!!

11:46 AM

 
Blogger qcmier said...

It took me some time to adjust to orthotics, but they got me through an Ironman. Good luck!!!

4:30 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

I'm so sorry, Jen. That's not what you or any of us wanted to hear. But, you're right...you will get to that finish line, and if it means throwin' in a few things in your shoes, hey, so be it, right?

On a more positive note...girls' night yoga will be so fun! :)

10:22 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd said...

Aw shucks, Jen. I'm hoping once you get running again that your outlook will brighten.

I just had a positive experience with, and that I have lots to learn from the Doc and PT. Get well soon.

7:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home