Image hosted by

Thursday, September 20, 2007

DWD and other random thoughts

I know I've been MIA. Work has been kicking my butt. I've got a temporary lull right now, so I'm going to take advantage of it. The next few months will be interesting though as we transition a new client that I'm fully responsible for making sure the numbers are right and on time. Eek! I may not post frequently, but I'll try to get here at least once a week and I do read your blogs every day (my guilty pleasure), although haven't had much time to comment lately.

Well, Dances with Dirt was a blast as always! We did about the same as we always do. It took us about 12 hours once the "Cheating Bastard" time was added and we ended up 296 (I think) out of 371 teams once the time was adjusted for the all-female handicap.

I got lost again on my first leg (called "Butt Kicker"), but it was only an extra 5 minutes instead of an extra 45 like last year. I only regret not following my instinct and continuing on, but I surrendered to group mentality and ended up in a conga line through the forest that slowed me down considerably. My HR monitor quit working during that leg, so I took it off and just went balls to the wall for the rest of the day.

My 2nd leg (called "Stripper Pole") was the fastest per mile rate of my 3 legs and that is saying something, because it literally had a dirt wall that had to be climbed. Imagine a hill so steep that you can reach out and touch it and dirt so loose that you need the trees to help you get up it. I was afraid to look down once I started up it. I passed a group of 6 guys shortly after this and they all had a look of dismay about getting passed up by a chick. Tee hee! : )

My 3rd leg (called "Vertigo") was my nemesis from the last two years. This year, it was hot, but otherwise uneventful.

Overall, I felt strong the whole day. It was great hanging out with my buddies. We were all disappointed that our shtick (Mardi Gras Mudhounds) wasn't given a spirit award, especially when we saw who did get one. I love the Second Sole group, but seriously, they got an award for wearing matching tie-died shirts. We wore crazy hats, beads, Save Nola shirts, had a car decorated like a float, etc. Nicole and I even helped direct traffic at a dangerous intersection while cheering on the runners loudly. The runners would say "Thanks for coming out", "Thanks for volunteering", and so on, but we would reply "We paid to come out here today". You still got to show the love for your competition, right?

Another bright spot to the day was seeing my hubby do his first 50k. As I was running my first leg, I thought, "Oh honey, I hope you are not regretting getting into this craziness". I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of him. I was exhausted from running 11-12 miles over/under logs, up/down hills, through mud, etc. and can't imagine going 50k on that terrain. Tres impressive!!

The down side of the day was the mosquitoes. Good lord, they were everywhere! We went through an entire bottle of bug spray and I still had mosquito bites all over. I also got a touch of poison ivy again. At least this year I knew what it was. I did reapply the poison ivy block, but must have missed a few spots.

I'll share pictures soon. There are some good ones of the girls in costume and after particularly muddy legs. Sam J. even showed that she was a triathlete by swimming some of the river leg while we cheered her on. Believe it or not, but she actually passed people by doing that. That's my girl!

Speaking of my girl, she and her husband are doing their first half-Ironman this weekend. We are doing the HFP Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek State Park. I'm gunning to break 6 hours, but it is supposed to be hot and we don't start until after 9 AM, so we'll see. Regardless, I will be done with triathlon for the season after this weekend. Next week, I get my hair radically chopped (am donating it) and then get my tattoo next Saturday. Oh, I can't swim for a month? Darn! : )

Finally, I fell down again while running through the woods last night. I'm getting quite clumsy in my old age. I fell hard on my left side, so have some nice bruises/scratches, but they don't seem to be bad enough to slow me up for the race.

Okay, I have to go to Yoga. Hope y'all (been hanging with my Texas pal) are doing well!


Blogger E-Speed said...

girl you are one tough cookie! I can't wait to see the hair cut and the tat!!!

yoga kicked my ass tonight, I am beat!

9:31 PM

Blogger Kim said...

wait...whaaaaaaaaaaaat did you do this past weekend????????? whaaatttt??????

1:12 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home