Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, February 13, 2009

High heels

When I graduated from college and entered the work world, we had to wear business suits 4 days a week. Like many a young lady, I crammed my feet into all types, heights and colors of high heels.

Fairly soon after I started, business casual became the dress code. I still wore high heels though all the time. But then I became a runner...

I had a bout with plantar fasciatis in 2003/2004 when I started training for my first longer distance race, a half-marathon. Ever since then, heels have pretty much been off the purchase/wearing menu. It bummed me out, but I reasoned that being a runner was worth it.

Mom always said you should be kind to your feet and treat them to the best shoes regardless of price, so I have. Clark's is a particular brand favorite of mine. In October, I went into that store and found a pair of heels that were actually comfortable, so I bought them. They are not as fun as some heels (kind of look like orthopedic high heel shoes), but they were still heels.

I've worn them to several client meetings and a couple of romantic dinners without adverse effects. But, I got a little cocky. I wore them to a meeting that was several blocks walk away just because I wanted to look nice.

So, what happened? I survived the walk without too much pain, but I got hit with a terrible foot cramp in the pool the next day. It was so bad I couldn't work it out and had to get out. Very disappointing. And, so I learned yet another lesson. Wear them, but don't push my luck. Guess the downtown client will have to see me in pantsuits from now on. Oh well!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Hope you have a great one! I shall start off mine with an indoor triathlon at 6:30 AM. I haven't raced in awhile, so thought it was time to test my fitness. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Blogger allanjel said...

Good Luck Saturday Jen. Hope it is a BLAST!

1:26 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

Ah will kees you, moi cherie!

7:28 PM

 
Blogger Mnowac said...

I stuggle with shoes so much. I feel like i need to wear heels bc I am so short and all my pants drags. I have posterior tibialis tendon disorder and really need to invest in some good heels/clogs/boots something! I wish I could wear my running shoes all the time.

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I actually find heels better than work flats for my PF. My arches are so high that in flats they get sore really quickly!

PS- NICE work on the indoor tri :)

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home