Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, March 30, 2009

How to become a swimming shark

I volunteered at yesterday's last Cleveland Triathlon Club pre-season indoor triathlon held at Case Western Reserve University. They have a nice pool, spinning bikes that overlook a 200M indoor track and the aforementioned track. For a change, we had the participants run on the track instead of the treadmill. I'm sure that introduced some human error into the equation, but it was a heck of a lot more fun to watch (and hopefully compete).

After the triathlon ended, the "kids" (I call them the kids still although they are fully grown up and married to each other now, but they don't mind) held a swimming pointers clinic. Alison and Steve both swam for Case and Steve is the men's coach there now, so I definitely trust any pointers they give. Heck, after their swim clinic in November, my times dramatically decreased.

Well, yesterday I was told that my stroke mechanics look good, but I need to rotate my hips as much as my shoulders. I practiced some balance drills then gave it a try. I felt so smooth! I can't wait to try it out in a 25-yard pool to see if there is any improvement. After making the correction, I was given a thumbs up by both of them.

Now, they may have been blowing sunshine up my butt, but I'd like to think that I have a chance at being a decent swimmer. Alison said if I can learn how to flip turn, I'll truly be a swimming shark. Now, if I can just get over my dislike for having water go up my nose...

2 Comments:

Blogger allanjel said...

jen-

Flip turns stink & then you one day you get 'em & they don't stink :0)

When I started doing them I would hum & that helped keep H20 outta my nose

Good luck and keep going!!

2:51 PM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

thats cool that they used the track.....

good luck on getting the stroke the way you feel comfy..

4:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home