Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Hills

No, not the TV show. It was the theme of my ride with Matt this morning. I told him I wanted to mix it up and he definitely delivered.

The first hour? We averaged 13 mph. I told him to ride his own pace and wait at major turns. I was quickly used to seeing him stand up, pump his powerful legs a few times and then begin to disappear in the distance. There was this one steep fucking hill that made me wonder if I'd make it up without falling over. I haven't worried about that in a long time. But, I made it up the hill, recovered and carried on.

The second hour, we averaged 16 mph, for an overall average of 14.5 mph (this section included a brick street a la Paris Roubaix - bumpy!). By this time, we were heading back home. Despite some massive final hills of merit, we covered 46 miles total in 2:57 (a 15.6 mph average). Not too shabby given the start of the ride.

The bonus was we rode out of our house, so no gas wasted traveling to a bike ride start. It also saved time. Oh, and I did manage to keep up with Matt after that first hour. Good stuff!

TriGuyJT, did we see you on Chagrin River road this morning wearing a yellow top?

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt Collister said...

Yeah, those were some good hills!

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

The route

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/oh/willoughby/363721661762

4:45 PM

 
Blogger triguyjt said...

jen----

maybe that was my evil twin!!!

yeah...thats it...

Actually. no. It could have been my son Pat...
I wish it were me. I need to bike more. Morgantown will make me pay for it.

5:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you have crab crawled up backwards faster than you were riding up that hill? That is what I thought on some of the hills of the original GCT course...ahhh memories...

Now I don't even think I could WALK up a hill that steep...
-Suzi

6:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home