Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, May 04, 2009

Missing in Action yet again

I think my attention span is getting shorter the longer I use Facebook. I mean I do read all of my friends' blogs (cyber and local) regularly, but it is much easier to post a status update than write a blog post. It hasn't helped that I've been super busy at work.

I've been here since 7:30 AM, so think I deserve a blogging break and will take it. My brain is fried anyway.

So, when I last spoke to you all, I was working on the flip turns. They briefly degraded badly, but then I got some awesome advice and I've been doing well at them since. I do not do open turns any longer. I can't believe it took me so long to get up the nerve, but once I did, I took to it so naturally. This is a big deal for me, because most things do not come to me naturally (other than mad computer hacking and numchuck skillz of course - no, seriously, mad math skillz is my forte). I think about flip turns all the time and can't wait to get back in the pool. I even prefer the longer sets now, because I can flip more. And, my times are starting to drop. Still not fast, but much better than last year. It is nice to be excited about swimming for a change - last year's slowness was a total downer.

My running is coming along too. I don't do the big volume like eSpeed, Daisy or Salty, but I'm up to 9 miles on the trails on the weekend long run. And, I feel awesome when I finish. I'm so happy being out on the trails and getting muddy again!

My bike is status quo, which I think is probably okay. I'm relatively decent at biking, so maintaining works. Matt and I rode the Old Mill hill the weekend before last. I'd never been on it before and had heard such horror stories. When I finally rode the hill, it was steep and long, but totally doable. I guess that is what I get for listening to others and not just trying it out for myself. During that ride, Matt called me "scrappy" for not letting myself get dropped and "most combative" for challenging him on most of the uphills.

Finally, I've been lifting weights once a week. That is not new, but I did buy a new strength training book geared to triathletes. I try out a few new exercises each week and so far, I've been sore for days after. You know, the good kind of sore.

In summary, all is going fairly well on the training front. It helps keep me sane during all the work madness and trying to get pregnant BS. As Eric says, "Game on"!

3 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

It is so easy to become distracted by facebook. Keep up the numbchucking.

6:33 PM

 
Blogger Matt Collister said...

Jen "Flip Turn" Collister

...your turns do look very good!

3:02 PM

 
Blogger allanjel said...

Way to Go Jen!! Adam is much faster than me on the bike and I completely understand the not wanting to get dropped...way to dig in and pedal through :)

11:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home