Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A triathlon you say?

My first triathlon post-baby is coming up on Sunday. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

On one hand, my running and biking have been coming along nicely, but on the other, my swimming is in the crapper (and no that is not a reference to the Lake Erie water). MN and I have an open water swim lesson on Saturday, so hopefully that will help identify what the heck I did to my stroke while I was pregnant. Of course, I was never that great of a swimmer, but I want to be faster darn it!

I've been training about 7 hours a week. I run 3-5 days for a total of 20-25 miles, bike on the trainer 2 days, bike outside 1 day and swim 1-2 days (hmmm...maybe that is why my swim is so bad - lack of focus on it). Anyway, my long run is up to just over 10 miles at a 9:48 pace and my shorter runs are around 9:15-9:30 pace (even with the stroller). My long bike is up to 31 miles at 18.4 mph pace (flat course). My longest swim is still around 2000 meters, which is longer than I need to go for GCT, but it is going to be a slow slog. Good news is that I can still use the "I just had a baby 4.5 months ago" as an excuse for not hitting a PR on that course if I need to do so. Lets hope the stars align and I don't have to use that excuse.

Being back at work means I need to juggle being a mom, being a good worker and being an athlete. I think I'm doing okay at all three so far, but I'm definitely tired. I'm so thankful to have Wednesdays off. Not only do I get to run and hang out with my fellow mommy runner friends, but I can also catch up on some sleep. Will is still not sleeping through the night, but hopefully he will soon. He's so fun the rest of the time that I don't mind that so much.

The last couple Sundays have been fun too, because I've gotten to swim and have a picnic with some of my favorite people. Plus, Will gets to see his birthday buddy! Here is a picture of them this past Sunday.



Wish me luck this weekend!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

wow, Jen!! Your workout routine sounds great ... I'm jealous!! (one injury after another has really curtailed my plans) I wish you lots of luck this weekend!! You'll be great!! :)

12:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home